Using Tetracycline To Treat Acne
Tetracycline is one of the most potent oral acne therapy treatments available today. This type of antibiotic is the first-line of medications of choice when it comes to the proper management of moderate to severe acne. This treatment reduces the growth of P. acnes by heading straight to the source, your sebaceous glands and attacking the bacteria. Antibiotics also fight to take down inflammation which is just as important when it comes to patients that have papules and pustules. There are 3 types of Tetracyclines:
1. Plain or generic Tetracycline
3. MinocyclineHow fast and effective is this treatment for acne?You should notice your acne improving usually within a matter of a few weeks or sometimes less with the usage of any one of these antibiotics. Your response to this treatment will vary depending upon the severity of your acne. However, you may see the papules and pustules begin to flatten and disappear, and new ones should stop popping up within just a few weeks. Once your acne starts to improve you can decrease your usage of antibiotics; depending upon what you and your doctor decide. But the key here is you must see "consistent" improvements. What are the risk and side effects associated with the use of antibiotics?There is relatively low risk of any side effects from using this antibiotic solution. However, here is a short list of things that you should know before you decide to use this treatment.
Additional rare but extreme possible side effects (if you experience any of these call your doctor immediately):
- While rashes are quite uncommon with this treatment, if you do experience this side effect it can be severe.
- You could develop a phototoxic reaction; meaning you have an increased tendency to sunburn easily.
- You might develop mild indigestion and have an upset stomach.
- If you have a past history of multiple yeast infections using this antibiotic could trigger a yeast infection.
- Teeth Discoloration
- Not recommended for women that are nursing or pregnant as it can damage your baby's teeth and bones.
Using Generic or Plain Tetracycline
- Hypersensitivity rash accompanied with swelling of your joints
- Yellowish discoloring of your eyes, skin or mucous membranes as well as nausea and dark urine
- Severe headache; because of the increased pressure in your brain (rarely seen but possible)
If you decide to use plain or generic Tetracycline it is usually more cost effective then minocycline and doxycyline. However, it is not as efficient as doxycyline and minocycline. This particular antibiotic's dosage can be lowered however as your inflammation decreases usually within a 6 to 8 week time period. But remember everyone’s level of response can be different.Using Doxycycline
This treatment is usually available in the branded form as well as the generic versions to clear acne skin. A major advantage to using this antibiotic is that lesser potential side effects are reported.
However, the major disadvantage to the usage of this antibiotic is that it can leave you with a more phototoxic response to sun exposure (you can sunburn very easily) than with the other two antibiotics. It is extremely important to use sunscreen when you are prescribed doxycycline.Using Minocycline
This one is the most effective of the 3 and the most expensive. Some major advantages to using minocycline are:
- Fewer sun exposure problems (unlike with doxycycline)
- Less likely to induce yeast infections
Some disadvantages are as follows:
- Skin Discoloration
- Permanent Tooth Discoloration
Be sure and always consult your doctor first before beginning any acne treatment regimen; whether it is tetracycline or an over the counter acne treatment.
return to top of "Using Tetracycline To Treat Your Acne"
return to "Body Acne Solutions"